Be careful....you might find out more than you ever wanted to know.

Monday, January 18, 2010

Girlfriends


Everyone who knows me understands that this last weekend was something I couldn’t wait for. I went away on a retreat to quilt and be with my friends. I look forward to these retreats so much .. I get to just be Chris – not Mom, not Wife; I get to just be myself. Sometimes we all need to reconnect with ourselves so that we can do a proper job with the other titles that we have.

This group of fabulous women have welcomed me in with open hearts, open arms and warm smiles. They are an amazing group – they are cancer survivors, fearless mothers, humble daughters and encouraging sisters. They don’t take themselves seriously and they accept me just as I am. I am the baby of the group and some call me the new blood, but it is they who fit that bill. They are the epitome of the adage “Age is nothing but a number”.

To this group of timeless, beautiful, wise women … I am so proud to be able to call you my GIRLFRIENDS. Thank you for being who you are. I dedicate this poem to you:

There are days when bubbling from us comes the innocent child within,
who giggles at the little things and wears a silly grin.

There are days when melancholy comes to visit for a while;
the mind feels tired, the body weak;
we have no strength to smile.

There are days when joy abundant grabs a hold of you and me;
wraps us up in all it's splendor, lifts us up and sets us free.

There are days when sorrow wraps us in its cloak of grief and fear,
'till our hearts ache to the breaking,'till our eyes can't shed a tear.

There are days when love bestows us with its wonderment and light;
with its beauty and its mystery, its power and its might.

And there are days when life rewards us and seems to make amends
by granting us a marvelous gift, the precious gift of Friends.

- Karin Schaefer

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful for you to have a special weekend like that. You must have come home refreshed and recharged.

    ReplyDelete